Mar 7, 2019
Triton Digital's Infinite Dial 2018 report is out, and there
are lots of great nuggets that show just how much podcasting grew
in 2018. On this short episode, I'll highlight the most germane
- Big shakeup in Social Media Brand Awareness that businesses
will love. LinkedIn gained "share of mind" to beat out Twitter! And
while Facebook still commands a larger piece of the pie, it's
shrinking, with an estimate 15MM fewer users in 2018 vs 2017.
- Smart Speaker ownership is soaring, now at 1 in 4 Americans.
Even more interesting: a quarter of them say they own 3 or more
smart speakers, which is up from only 11% in 2017.
- Online Audio is way up in all age ranges, but growth among
seniors (55+) is staggering. It was 33% in 2017, but now it's at
- Really interesting to my former life: audiobook listening is up
for the first time ever! It's been hovering at 44%, but the 2018
report shows it at a full 50%!
- Podcasting in-car is growing (duh) and now has reached parity
with online radio listening (26%), which beats the pants of
satellite radio listening!
- And while podcasting awareness was up to 70% from 64%, the pull
quote of the article is this: More than half (51%) of the US
population report listening to podcasts at least once a month.
Hooray! And the individual demographic breakdown is interesting:
- 12-24 grew from 30% all the way to 40%! Wow!
- 25-54 also grew significantly, from 32% up to 39%.
- 55+ is up as well, from 13% to 17% in 2018.
- But among self-reported Spotify listeners aged 12-24, we get
this little nugget: in 2017, 32% said they listened to podcasts
monthly. In 2018, now that Spotify has over 100,000 added, that
usage has shot up to 52%! Holy cattle! If you list it, perhaps they
- And finally, weekly listening (the brass ring to me) is up to
22% over 17%.
Every single number is great and shows what strides we made last
year. And now, with the pouring of resources and increased
attention, we should expect even more from 2019. Here's to making